STRATEGIC MATERIALS, INC PUBLISHES 2022 SUSTAINABILITY REPORT
HOUSTON, TEXAS – JULY 19, 2023 – North America's largest glass recycler, Strategic Materials, Inc. (SMI), today published its sustainability report of initiatives and results from 2022.
"SMI is leading the charge in environmental stewardship for glass recycling. Each day we continue to build a more sustainable future by optimizing operations and solving complex challenges in glass collection, resulting in increased diversion of glass and other materials from the landfill into the circular economy," said Chris Dods, President & Chief Executive Officer.
The report is organized to address key areas of people, partners and planet and reflects stakeholder priorities across different aspects of sustainability including health and safety, ethics & integrity, diversity, equity & inclusion, product quality, waste diversion, and greenhouse gas emissions.
Laura Hennemann, senior vice president of sustainability and corporate affairs, said, "We’ve come a long way in a short period of time. We are a cleaner and more committed company, and our work is making a meaningful impact."
Highlights from the report:
- Recycling materials – SMI has diverted 4.07 billion pounds of materials from landfill.
- Greenhouse gas emissions – Scope 1 & 2 GHG inventory was tracked and reported and reduced by 2,953 MT CO2e and 862 MT CO2e respectively over previous year.
- Charitable Contributions – Increased our charitable contributions five times over in two years.
- Employee health & safety – 78.3% of SMI facilities achieved zero recordable injuries and the company's total recordable incident rate (TRIR) was 1.77 against previous year of 2.9, and industry average of 4.
- Product quality – The company maintained 99.95% product quality acceptance rate.
Detailed information about the company's progress is available in the report online at smi.com/sustainability