Manufacturers benefit from recycling glass in several ways.
Recycled glass reduces emissions and consumption of raw materials, extends the life of plant equipment, such as furnaces, and saves energy.
- Energy costs drop about 2-3% for every 10% cullet used in the manufacturing process
- In manufacturing, cullet requires less energy to melt than does raw materials and lower temps, extending the lifespan of furnaces and related equipment
- Glass makes better containers because it is non-porous, impermeable and has almost zero rate of chemical interactions
- One ton of carbon dioxide is reduced for every six tons of recycled container glass used in the manufacturing process
- Saves water consumption required for glass manufacturing